Thursday, July 1, 2010

Developing Meaning

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
                                                                                             Marcel Proust

At the start of 2010, I began thinking about our family and the ways we engage each other and the world around us.  As a stay-at-home/work-at-home parent, I was feeling disconnected from my community.  This disconnection probably has a lot to do with the phrentic pace inherent in raising small children.  But my background in education and community service work was nagging at me, and I couldn't ignore that little voice in my head any longer.

Through conversations with my husband and a few friends, I decided to chronical my exploration of focused decision making, development of family traditions and rituals, and community engagement.  I often feel like I need a reminder to make decisions - big and small - with the best interests of our family at heart.  I don't just mean "family time" a few times a week or prioritizing church service on Sunday.  I mean making a clear and conscientious effort to have our decisions be ones that make a positive impact: connecting us with others, urging us along our journey to become our best selves.

I'm not exactly sure what this vision will even look like in our daily lives.  It's just time to urge it into being.

No comments:

Post a Comment